With scanning technology becoming so widespread in businesses, many people take the ways that barcode scanners impact retail for granted. As a business owner, you’ll find yourself thinking about the effects of barcode scanners for retail when shopping for them. Whether you plan to get your first system or need an upgrade, a good scanner optimizes the technology’s effectiveness. Discover how barcode scanners improve the retail industry and how to get the most out of them.
Types of Barcode Scanners Used in Retail
Barcode scanning systems come in multiple models that suit different businesses. The factors to consider when buying a scanner include:
- Scanning engine: A barcode scanner’s scanning engine determines how the machine reads barcodes. Most models use a laser that measures the barcode lines’ reflection. Other models use photosensors that read the code’s black and white spaces and provide greater accuracy.
- Scanner connection: Scanners can connect to a computer through a wired or wireless connection. Each type has its own benefits. While wired scanners work without charging, wireless models have more flexibility.
- Type of scanner: The different types of scanners have unique methods of use. The user can point a handheld or mobile scanner at a barcode and scan it or hold the item up to counter-mounted scanners. Some businesses use multiple kinds of scanners for more efficiency.
You may also need to look at specifications like ruggedness and scanning distance.
The Benefits of Barcode Scanners for Retail
The ways that barcode scanners improve retail include:
- Inventory management: Many businesses track an item’s progress and location by scanning its barcode at different points in shipment.
- Accuracy: Scanning a barcode has better accuracy than manual data entry when handling an item from shipment to sale.
- Efficiency: Since it takes a simple scan to read an item, barcode scanning has faster results than entering a number.
- Cost: Thanks to barcode fonts and reasonable scanner costs, many businesses can afford barcode technology.
- Flexibility: Barcode scanners can read 1D or 2D codes and evolve over time through technological developments. You can also combine scanner types to speed up inventory management or checkout.
After the invention of the barcode, the retail industry changed forever. Barcodes can also transform your business through the above benefits and more.
How Understanding the Role of Barcode Technology in Retail Can Guide Your Purchase
Knowing how barcodes affect retail can help you maximize their benefits. You can ask yourself the following questions as you shop for a barcode scanner:
- How will this scanner help me effectively control my inventory?
- Does this scanner have a high level of accuracy?
- How fast does this scanner operate?
- Does this scanner fit into my budget?
- What does this scanner empower me to do?
Now that you understand how barcodes can improve your business, you can shop smartly for your scanning equipment.
Contact Us to Learn More About Barcode Technology and Products
At DBK Concepts, we help business owners like you streamline their work with barcode technology. To learn more about barcodes or get a free quote on scanners, contact us online today or call 1-800-725-7226.